Leighland, an ecclesiastical district in Old Cleeve parish, Somerset, 3½ miles S of Old Cleeve village, and 4 from Wash-ford station on the G.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Washford. Population of the ecclesiastical district, 317. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £92 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Old Cleeve. The church was rebuilt in 1862.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Old Cleeve|
|Hundred||Williton and Freemanners|
|Poor Law union||Williton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Leighland from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.