Leigh Upon Mendip, Somerset

Historical Description

Leigh-upon-Mendip, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands under the E end of the Mendip Hills, 3 miles from Cranmore station on the G.W.R., and 5 W of Frome. Post town. Bath; money order and telegraph office, Coleford. The parish comprises 1435 acres; population, 480. The surface lies high, and culminates at 884 feet above sea-leveL The living is a vicarage; value, £150. The church is Later English, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with an ornate tower; it was restored in 1874, and during the alterations an altar-stone of Purbeck marble was discovered embedded about 18 inches under the floor. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Leigh-upon-Mendip St. Giles
Hundred Mells and Leigh
Poor Law union Frome

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Leigh Upon Mendip from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Leigh Upon Mendip are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictMendip
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA3
Post TownRadstock