Lamyat, a village and a parish in Somerset, 2 miles N of Bruton station on the G.W.R., and 1 mile SE of Ever-creech Junction station on the Midland and South-Westera Joint railway, with a post office under Bath; money order and telegraph office, Evercreech. Acreage, 1028; population, 180. Creech Hill consists of oolite, and was a Saxon stronghold. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £200 with residence. The church is Later English, was internally restored in 1853 and again in 1888, and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lamyatt St. Mary and St. John|
|Poor Law union||Shepton-Mallet|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lamyat from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lamyatt (St. Mary and St. John))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.