Keynsham, a town and a parish in Somerset. The town stands on the river Avon, at the influx of the Chew, at the boundary with Gloucestershire, with a station on the G.W.R., 114 miles from London, and 5 ESE of Bristol, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage of parish, 4197; population, 2811. The town got its name from St Kayne or, Keyna (see KEYNE, Sr), had long a celebrated Augustinian abbey, was once a market-town, is now a seat of petty sessions and of a court-leet, consists of one street nearly a mile long, and a number of shorter and newer ones, and has two chief inns, a police station, a church, Baptist, Wes-leyan, Free Methodist, and Primitive Methodist chapels, Salvation Army Barracks, a public hall, a drill hall, parochial schools, a workhouse, gaswork, and electric light works. The town is lit by the electric light, and possesses the oldest brass mills in England. St Keyne is storied to have lived here in a wood infested with venomous serpents, and to have converted these into stones, and the common people long believed that ammonites found in the neighbouring quarries were the veritable quondam serpents. The leprous king Bladud also is fabled to have been hired here as a swineherd, and to have driven his hogs hence to the wells of Bath. The abbey was founded between 1167 and 1172 by William, Earl of Gloucester, possessed at the dissolution an income estimated variously at £420 and £450, was then given for twenty-one years to John Panter, and afterwards followed the fortunes of the manor. The buildings of it appear to have been very grand, but large portions of them were taken down in the 17th century for restoring the parish church and rebuilding its tower, and the last remains of them above ground were levelled in 1776. The substructions, however, were excavated in 1865 with the view of laying open and retaining as much as possible of them on the spot, and they were found to present features of much interest to antiquaries and to include many Norman tiles. Some relics of the abbey exist also in the curious " hostelry for pilgrims " in the village (now converted into shops), and the gateway of its grange, in Norman architecture, is at Queen Chariton. The parish church is large, was appropriated to the abbey about 1292, comprises nave, aisle, chancel, and chapel, with lofty tower, contains a handsome carved screen and monuments of the 16th century to the Brydges, ancestors of the Dukes of Chandos, and was thoroughly restored in 1863. The bells were presented by Handel in exchange for the organ, which he removed for his own use. The greater part of it is Early English, one aisle is Decorated, another is Perpendicular, and the tower is of mixed character. Fairs are held on the Monday after Easter and the Wednesday after 15 Aug.; a considerable clothing trade was formerly carried on, but has disappeared. The chief industries are those provided by the brass mills, dyewoods and colour grinding, a boot factory, and the limestone quarries. The surrounding scenery is very fine, and the railway rons through a remarkable series of tunnels and excavations.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Keynsham St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Keynsham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Keynsham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Keynsham (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Keynsham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.