Huntspill, a village, a parish, and a hundred in Somerset. The village stands near the mouth of the river Parret, 1¼mile SW of Highbridge station on the G.W.R., and 5½ miles N of Bridgwater; is a widely-scattered place, was once a market-town, and has a post office under Bridgwater; money order and telegraph office, Highbridge. Acreage, 6179; population, 2004. Huntspill Court is a chief residence, and is situated in a finely-timbered park of about 60 acres. The surface is chiefly rich pasturage, and is bounded for some way on one side by the Parret, on the other by the Brue. Brickmaking is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £330 with residence. Patron, Baliol College, Oxford. The church is Later English; it was burned down in Dec. 1878, but rebuilt in 1880 by subscription. The vicarage of East Huntspill is a separate benefice. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Huntspill All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Huntspill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Huntspill (All Saints))
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Huntstill)
Online maps of Huntspill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.