Holton, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 2½ miles SW of Wincanton station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and has a post office under Bath; money order and telegraph office, Wincanton. Acreage of the civil parish, 1269; population, 267; of the ecclesiastical, 207. The manor and much of the land belong to the Plucknett family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value,, £160 with residence. The church is good, in mixed Pointed style, and consists of chancel and N aisle, with porch and tower. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Holton St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Holton (St. Nicholas))
Online maps of Holton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.