Holnicote, a hamlet in Selworthy parish, Somerset, 4 miles W of Minehead. It took its name, like Holne village, from the Anglo-Saxon word for " holy," and it consists of pretty creeper-bound cottages. Holnicote House, in the vicinity, is the seat of the Acland family; was destroyed by fire in 1799, and again in another year; has been rebuilt and enlarged, and stands in a park of much natural and artificial beauty.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Williton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holnicote from the following:
Online maps of Holnicote are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.