Holford, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands near the coast, 5½ miles E of Williton station on the G.W.R,, and 10 NW by W of Bridgwater, and has a post office under Bridgwater; money order and telegraph office, Nether Stowey. Acreage, 1083; population of the civil parish, 191; of the ecclesiastical, 146. The manor belongs to the Hood family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £150 with residence. Patron, Eton College. The church is good and has a low tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Williton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Holford 1558-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holford from the following:
Online maps of Holford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.