Hinton Blewett, Somerset
Hinton Blewett, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 2¼ miles SW of Clutton station on the G.W.R., and is a scattered place. The parish contains also the hamlets of South Widcombe, Coley, and Shortwood, and its post town is Bristol. Acreage, 1130; population, 178. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £270 with residence. The church is Later English, and was partially restored in 1893. It consists of 'nave, chancel, and aisle, with S porch and massive tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hinton-Blewitt All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Clutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hinton Blewett from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hinton-Blewitt (All Saints))
Online maps of Hinton Blewett are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.