High Littleton, Somerset
Littleton, High, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 450 feet above the level of the sea, and is 10 miles SW by W of Bath. It has a post office under Hallatrow; money order and telegraph office, Paulton. The parish contains also the hamlet of Hallatrow, which has a station on the G.W.R. Acreage, 1303; population, 798. Coal is worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £111. The church was restored in 1885, comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a fine tower; and contains monuments of the 15th century to the Hodges family. There are Wesleyan and Methodist chapels. Kingwell Hall is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||High Littleton Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Clutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for High Littleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Littleton, High (Holy Trinity))
Online maps of High Littleton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.