Henton, Somerset

Historical Description

Henton, a village in the parish of Wookey, Somerset. It lies near the Mendip Hills, about 2 miles from Wookey station on the G.W.R., and has a post office under Wells; money order and telegraph office, Wells. The chapelry was constituted in 1848. Population of the ecclesiastical district, 412. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wella; gross value, £250. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church was built in 1847. There is a Bible Christian chapel. There was a libera capella or free chapel at Henton. This was dedicated to St Thomas. It was utterly demolished at the time of the destruction of the religious houses in the reign of Henry VIII.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Maps

Online maps of Henton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictMendip
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA5
Post TownWells
Coxley
Godney
Meare
Theale
Westbury
Wookey