Hemington, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands about 3 miles from Eadstock station on the G.W.R. The parish contains also the hamlets of Falkland and Eowe. Post town, Norton St Philip; money order and telegraph office, Radstock. Acreage, 3133; population of the civil parish, 630; of the ecclesiastical, 677. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Hardington, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £470 with residence. Patron, Lord Poltimore. The church is ancient; underwent restoration in 1859, when a very fine Norman arch was discovered; and consists of nave, aisles, transept, and chancel, with a tower. There are two Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hemington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Frome|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hemington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hemington (St. Mary))
Online maps of Hemington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.