Hardington Mandeville, Somerset
Hardington Mandeville, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village is 3 miles from Sutton Bingham station on the L. & S.W.R., 2 from the boundary with Dorsetshire, and 4 SW of Yeovil, and has a post office of the name of Harding-ton, under Yeovil; money order and telegraph office, West Coker. Acreage, 2677; population, 459. The manor belongs to Viscount Portman. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value,, £380 with residence. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1864, and is in the Decorated English style. There is a Bible Christian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hardington-Mandeville St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Yeovil|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hardington Mandeville from the following:
Online maps of Hardington Mandeville are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.