Godney, Somerset

Historical Description

Godney, a chapelry in Somerset, on the river Brue. Post town, Glastonbury. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £60. The church was built in 1840.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Civil parish Meare
Hundred Glaston-Twelve-Hides
Poor Law union Wells

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Godney from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Godney are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictMendip
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA5
Post TownWells
Coxley
Glastonbury
Henton
Meare
Theale