Fitzhead, a parish in Somerset, 3 miles ENE of Wiveliscombe, and 2 from Milverton station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Bishops Lydeard (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Bishops Lydeard. Acreage, 1247; population, 250. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £165. Patron, the Vicar of Wivelis-combe. The church was restored and enlarged in 1883.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Fitzhead St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wellington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fitzhead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Fitzhead (St. Mary))
Online maps of Fitzhead are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.