Farrington Gurney, Somerset
Farrington Gurney, a parish in Somerset, 1 mile from-Hallatrow station on the G.W.R., and 83- NNE of Wells. It has a post office under Bristol; money order and telegraph office, Paulton. Acreage, 928; population, 562. The manor belonged formerly to the Gourneys, and belongs now to fhe-Duchy of Cornwall. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the-vicarage of Stone-Easton, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is good, and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Chewton Mendip|
|Poor Law union||Clutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Farrington Gurney from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Farrington-Gurney)
Online maps of Farrington Gurney are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.