Exton, Somerset

Historical Description

Exton, a parish in Somerset, on the river Exe, 8½ miles NNE of Dulverton station on the G.W.R. Post town, Dul-Terton. Acreage, 4230; population, 334. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £194. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1878. There is a small Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Exton St. Peter
Hundred Williton and Freemanners
Poor Law union Dulverton

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Exton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Exton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictWest Somerset
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtTA22
Post TownDulverton