Evercreech, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands near the Fosse Way, 3½ miles SE by S of Shepton Mallet, and has two stations on the Somerset and Dorset railway, 120 miles from London, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bath. The parish includes also the chapelry of Chesterblade, and the hamlets of Bagbury, Southwood, and Stoney Stratton. Acreage, 4110; population, 1120. Silk weaving was once carried on, but of late years has quite died out. The living is a vicarage, united with the perpetual curacy of Chesterblade, in the discese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £190 with residence. The church is good, and has a tower which figures finely in the landscape. There are a Methodist chapel, and some charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Evercreech St. Peter cum Chesterblade|
|Poor Law union||Shepton-Mallet|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Evercreech from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Evercreech (St. Peter) cum Chesterblade)
Online maps of Evercreech are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.