English Combe, Somerset
Englishcome or Inglescombe (called Ink Conibe in Domesday Book), a parish in Somerset, on the Wans Dyke, adjacent to the G.W.R., near Twerton station, 2¼ miles SW of Bath. Post town, Bath; money order office, Holloway; telegraph office, Twerton. Acreage, 1838; population of the civil parish, 398; of the ecclesiastical, 426. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £165 with residence. Englishcome is part of the Duchy of Cornwall. There are remains of an old Norman castle in the village, only a green mound and the moat all round are left of it. The church is Norman and has some very interesting remains in it, viz., a Bambino in a very perfect condition, and leper squint and carved Norman work sedilia in the tower, besides 2 old piscinas. There is an old farmhouse and large tithe barn attached, near the church, which is said to have been a monastery belonging to Bath Abbey, and the barn was the monastery church. There are excellent remains of the high altar at the east end of the barn.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bath|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for English Combe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Combe, English)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.