Emborrow or Emborough, a parish in Somerset, under the Mendip Hills, 1½ mile from Binegar station on the Somerset and Dorset railway. It has a post office under Bath; money order office, Chewton Mendip; telegraph office, Midsomer Norton. Acreage, 1877; population, 131. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Chewton Mendip, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £250. The church is small, and was restored in 1886.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Emborough St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Shepton-Mallet|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Emborrow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Emborough, In and Out (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.