Edington, a village in Moorlinch parish, Somerset, 5½ miles ENE of Bridgwater. It has a station on the Somerset and Dorset Junction railway, 138 miles from London, and contains the hamlet of Burtle, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bridgwater, Acreage, 2191; population, 482. The living is a perpetual curacy united with the perpetual curacy of Chilton-on-Polden, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £120 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church was rebuilt in 1879 in the Perpendicular style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Edington from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.