East Huntspill, Somerset
Huntspill, East, a village and a chapelry in Huntspill parish, Somerset. The village stands on the river Brue, 1½ mile E of Highbridge, and 7 NNE of Bridgwater. The chapelry was constituted in 1845, is sometimes called All Saints, and has at Bason Bridge a station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway, and a post office under Bridgwater; money order and telegraph office, Highbridge. The land is chiefly in pasture. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £190. Patron, the Rector of Huntspill. The church was built in 1840, is in the Norman style, and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with bell-turret. There is a Bible Christian chapel.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Online maps of East Huntspill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.