East Coker, Somerset
Coker, East, a parish in Somerset, adjacent to the boundary with Dorsetshire, 1 mile from Sutton Bingham station on the L. & S.W.R., and 3 miles SSW of Yeovil. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Yeovil. Acreage, 2185 ; population, 863. Coker Court is the seat of the Helyars. A Roman pavement and other Roman remains were found here in 1753. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £228 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is Later English and cruciform. Dampier the circumnavigator was a native. There are some almshouses and a police station.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Coker St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Yeovil|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Coker from the following:
Online maps of East Coker are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.