Durston, a parish in Somerset, on the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal, 5 miles ENE of Taunton. It has a station on the G.W.R., at the junction of the line to Yeovil, 155 miles from London. Post town, Taunton; money order and telegraph office, West. Monkton. Acreage, 1013; population, 206. A Knights-Hospitallers' preccptory and priory stood here at Buckland-Sororum. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £119. Patron, Viscount Portman. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Durston St. John|
|Poor Law union||Taunton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Durston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Durston (St. John))
Online maps of Durston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.