Drayton, a parish in Somerset, adjacent to the river Isle, 1½ mile SW of Langport station on the G.W.R. It includes the tithing of Middleney, the hamlet of Westover, and part of the tithings of Burton-Pynsent and Wick. Post town, Taunton; money order and telegraph office, Curry Rivel. Acreage, 2021; population of the civil parish, 395; of the ecclesiastical, 448. Limestone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £292 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is Later English, with a Norman porch.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Drayton St. Catherine|
|Hundred||Abdick and Bulstone|
|Poor Law union||Langport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Drayton 1577-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Drayton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Drayton (St. Catherine))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.