Cutcombe, a parish in Somerset, 5½ miles SW by S of Dunster station on the G.W.R. There is a post office under Dunster; telegraph office, Dunster; money order office, Winsford. Acreage, 7143; population of the civil parish, 450; of the ecclesiastical, 788. Lofty hills are in the north and in the south, and Dunkerry Beacon, 1700 feet high, with a fine view, is in the west. The living is a vicarage, united -with the perpetual curacy of Luxborough, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; joint net value, £218 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Early English and good. A school has £60 from endowment. Cuthbert. See CUBERT.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cutcombe St. John|
|Poor Law union||Williton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cutcombe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cutcombe (St. John))
Online maps of Cutcombe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.