Curry Mallet, Somerset
Curry-Mallet, a village and a parish in Somerset. Th&-village is 1 mile from Hatch station on the G.W.R., and 4½ NNW of Ilminster, and was once a market-town. It has a½ post office under Taunton; money order office, Hatcli Beauchamp; telegraph office. Hatch railway station. The parish comprises 1525 acres; population, 404. The manor belonged formerly to the Mallets and the Pointzes, and belongs now to the duchy of Cornwall. The living is a rectory, united with the perpetual curacy of Curland, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; joint net value, £390 with residence. Patron, the Prince of Wales. The church is in the-Later English style of architecture; consists of nave, transept, porch, and tower, and was restored in 1879. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Curry-Mallet All Saints|
|Hundred||Abdick and Bulstone|
|Poor Law union||Langport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Curry Mallet from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Curry-Mallet (All Saints))
Online maps of Curry Mallet are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.