Curland, a parish in Somerset, 5½ miles NNW of Chard. station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Taunton; money order office, Hatch Beauchamp; telegraph office, Hatch railway station. Acreage, 648; population, 155. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Curry-Mallet, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church was restored in 1870.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Curland All Saints|
|Hundred||Abdick and Bulstone|
|Poor Law union||Taunton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Curland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Curland (All Saints))
Online maps of Curland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.