Cudworth, a parish in Somerset, 3 miles SSE of Ilminster station on the G.W.R., and 3½ ENE of Chard. It has a post office under Ilminster; money order and telegraph office, Ilminster. Acreage, 1125; population of civil parish, 115; of ecclesiastical, 310. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, annexed to that of Chillington; juint value, £220. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. Thr church has many objects of interest for archaeologists.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cudworth St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Chard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cudworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cudworth (St. Michael))
Online maps of Cudworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.