Cucklington, Somerset

Historical Description

Cucklington, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands on the boundary with Dorsetshire, 3 ½ miles from Wincanton station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and was once a market-town. It has a post office under Bath; money order office, Wincanton; telegraph office, Sandley. Acreage of the civil parish, 1795; population, 290; of the ecclesiastical, 665. The living is a rectory, united with Stoke-Trister and Bayford, in the diocese of Bath and Wells ; joint net value, £324. The church is Early English ; consists of nave, aisles, transept, and chancel, with tower and spire, and is good. It was well restored in 1880.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Cucklington St. Lawrence
Hundred Norton-Ferris
Poor Law union Wincanton

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Cucklington from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Cucklington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.