Coxley, Somerset

Historical Description

Coxley, a tithing and a chapelry in St Cuthbert-Wells-Out parish, Somerset. The tithing lies 1 mile from Polsham station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and has a post office under Wells; money order and telegraph office, Wells. Population, 595. The chapelry was constituted in 1844, and is more extensive than the tithing. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £293 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of St Cuthbert's, Wells. The church is good. A Wesleyan chapel was built in 1878.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Civil parish Wells St Cuthbert
Hundred Wells-Forum
Poor Law union Wells

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Coxley from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Coxley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictMendip
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA5
Post TownWells