Congresbury, Somerset

Historical Description

Congresbury, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands on the river Yeo, with a station on the G.W.R., 132 miles from London, and 6½ N of Axbridge; has a post and money order office of the name of Congresbury (R.S 0.); telegraph office at the railway station. It was once a market-town, and still has a fair in Sept. A college is said to have been founded at it in 711 by St Congar, an Eastern prince, and an interesting ancient market cross is still here on five flights of steps. The parish comprises 4307 acres; population, 1167. Part of the land is marshy. The living is a vicarage, united with St Lawrence-Wick, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; joint net yearly value, £591. The church is Early English. The vicarage of St Ann is a separate benefice, and the church of it was built in 1865. There is one dissenting chapel, and charities for distribution of bread. There is an interesting old vicarage with some beautiful carvings on the porch and windows, dated 1445.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Congresbury St. Andrew
Hundred Winterstoke
Poor Law union Axbridge

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Congresbury from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Congresbury are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyNorth Somerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBS49
Post TownBristol