Compton Dando, Somerset

Historical Description

Compton-Dando, a parish in Somerset, on Wans Dyke and an affluent of the river Avon, 2 miles E by N of Pensford station on the G.W.R. It includes Tucking Mills hamlet and part of Woolard, and has a post office under Saltford (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Pensford. Acreage, 1979; population, 324. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £174. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church has a square tower, and it was slightly restored in 1889. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Compton-Dando St. Mary
Hundred Keynsham
Poor Law union Keynsham

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Compton Dando from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Compton Dando are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyBath and North East Somerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBS39
Post TownBristol