Combe St Nicholas, Somerset
Combe St Nicholas, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village is near Chard, 3 miles NW by N of Chard station on the G.W. and L. & S.W.R., and has a post and money order office under Chard; telegraph office, Chard. It has a fair on the Wednesday after 10 Dec. The parish is divided into the tithings of Betham, Clayhanger, Ham, and Wade-ford, and includes the hamlets of Sticklepath and Weston. Acreage, 4343; population, 1069. There was anciently a nunnery at Weston. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £330 with residence Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is Later English, cruciform, and good, and has an embattled tower dating back to 1239. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Combe St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Chard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Combe St. Nicholas 1678-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
The parish registers date from the year 1678.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles with eastern chapels, north and south porches and a battlemented western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells: the rood screen, once a fine work, has been removed and placed behind the choir stalls: there are stone staircases, formerly leading to the rood loft in small turrets on both sides of the church: in the south chapel and in the chancel are piscinæ, and two hagioscopes remain in the chancel arch: the east window is stained: beneath the belfry are two ancient fonts; one of these, constructed from a solid block of Whitestaunton stone, measures 7 feet 2 inches in circumference and 26 inches in diameter, and is of very early date: there are two ancient monuments, dating respectively from 1644 and 1680: the church was restored in 1863, and affords 500 sittings.
Methodist Chapel, Taunton Road
The Wesleyan chapel, on the Taunton road, erected in 1891, is a building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, from designs by Mr. R. Curwen A.R.I.B.A. of London, and will seat 170 persons; attached is a school-room, with four classrooms and gallery and a large transeptal room, opened in 1897: the school-room, class-room, transept and chapel can all be thrown into one by the removal of the screens separating them.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Combe St Nicholas from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Combe (St. Nicholas))
Online maps of Combe St Nicholas are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.