Coleford, a village in Somerset. It is 4 miles from Radstock and 2 from Mells stations on the G.W.R.; has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bath, a church, and two Methodist chapels. Population of the ecclesiastical district, 1520. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £117. Patron, the Vicar of Kilmersdon. There are a temperance hall and a working men's institute, and two small collieries in the neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Coleford from the following:
Online maps of Coleford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.