Clatworthy, a parish in Somerset, under the Brendon Hills, 4 miles NW of Wiveliscombe station on the G.W.R. Post town, Wiveliscombe, under Taunton. Acreage, 2964; population, 190. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, .6339 with residence. The church is Decorated English and good; it was restored in 1888.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clatworthy St. Mary|
|Hundred||Williton and Freemanners|
|Poor Law union||Williton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clatworthy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Clatworthy (St. Mary))
Online maps of Clatworthy are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.