Clapton in Gordano, Somerset
Clapton (or more properly Clapton in Gordano), a parish in Somerset, 2¼miles from Portishead station on the G.W.R., and 10 from Bristol. It has a post office under Clevedon. Acreage, 1355; population of the civil parish, 156; of the ecclesiastical, 137. The living is a rectory in the diocese'of Bath and Wells; net value, £219. The church is Early English with a Norman tower, and was restored in 1882.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clapton-in-Gordano St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Bedminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clapton in Gordano from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Clapton-in-Gordano (St. Michael))
Online maps of Clapton in Gordano are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.