Churchill, a parish in Somerset, under the Mendip Hills, 2 miles from Sandford and Banwell station on the G.W.R., and 4 miles N of Axbridge. It has a post and money order office under Congresbury (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Sand-ford railway station. Acreage, 2444; population. 728. Mendip Lodge, Langford House, and Churchill Court are the chief residences. There is an ancient encampment in the neighbourhood called Dolebury, the name showing that it was British, and the remarkable stone ramparts that it was utilised by the Romans. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £332. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is both Early English and Later Decorated English, and has a pinnacled tower. It was restored in 1880-1881. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels, and charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Churchill St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Axbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Churchill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Churchill (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Churchill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.