Chiselborough, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands in a narrow valley, closed on three sides by lofty hills, at the river Parret, about 4 miles from Crewkerne station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Stoke-under-Ham. The parish comprises 797 acres; population of the civil parish, 285; of the ecclesiastical, 670. The living is a rectory, united with West Chinnock, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; joint net value, £309 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Ilchester, The church is good, and was restored in 1863.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chisleborough St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Yeovil|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chiselborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chisleborough (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Online maps of Chiselborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.