Chilton upon Polden, Somerset
Chilton-upon-Polden, a village, township, and parish in Mooriinch parish, Somerset. The village stands 3 miles SSW of Edington Road station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and 5 ENE of Bridgwater, and has a post office, of the name of Chilton, under Bridgwater; money order and telegraph office, Edington. Acreage of township, 1880; population, 363; of the ecclesiastical parish, 553. A narrow hill-ridge here, called Cock Hill, commands extensive and brilliant views, and is crowned by a museum, called Chilton Priory, containing some curious local antiquities. The living is a perpetual curacy, united with Edington, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; joint net value, £100. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chilton upon Polden from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chilton-upon-Poldon)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.