Chewton Mendip, Somerset
Chewton-Mendip, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village lies on a spur of the Mendip Hills, 3 miles from Binegar station on the Somerset and Dorset railway. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bath. It was the Ciwtune of Alfred's will. Acreage, 5855; population of the civil parish, 687; of the ecclesiastical, 897. The parish includes also the tithing of North Widcombe. Chew-ton Priory is a seat on the site of an ancient monastery. There are lime works and quarries. The living is a vicarage, united with the perpetual curacy of Emborough, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £249 with residence. The church is partly Norman, and has a very fine Late English tower, 126 feet high. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chewton-Mendip St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Wells|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chewton Mendip from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chewton-Mendip (St. Mary Magdalene))
Online maps of Chewton Mendip are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.