Chew Magna, Somerset

Historical Description

Chew-Magna, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands on an affluent of the river Avon, 3 miles W of Pensford station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bristol, and was once a borough and a market-town. The parish includes the tith-ings of Northelm, Stone, Knowie, and Sutton, and both it and the village are sometimes called Bishops-Chew. Acreage, 5014; population of the civil parish, 1481; of the ecclesiastical, 985. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £600 with residence. The church is Decorated English, and has been restored. The perpetual curacy of Dundry is a separate benefice. There is a chapel of ease at Bishop-Sutton. There are also Baptist and Wes-leyan chapels. Sutton Court, Chew Court, Manor House, and Highfields are the chief residences.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Chew Magna St. Andrew
Hundred Chew
Poor Law union Clutton

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Chew Magna from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Chew Magna are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyBath and North East Somerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBS40
Post TownBristol