Charlton Horethorne, Somerset
Charlton-Horethorne, a parish in Somerset, 1½ mile N of Milbome-Port railway station, and 5½ miles SW of Win-canton. Post and money order office, Sherborne; telegraph office, Milborne-Port railway station. Acreage, 2380; population, 456. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £314 with residence. The church was restored in 1846, and again in 1863; a lych gate was erected in 1888. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Some antiquities, including a bark coffin and some flint implements, have been found in the neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Charlton-Horethorne St. Peter And St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Charlton Horethorne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Charlton-Horethorne, or Canfield (St. Peter And St. Paul))
Online maps of Charlton Horethorne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.