Charlinch, a parish in Somerset, on an affluent of the river Parret, near the Quantock Hills, 5 miles W by N of Bridgewater railway station. Post town, Bridgewater; money order and telegraph office, Cannington. Acreage, 1355; population of the civil parish, 191; of the ecclesiastical, 197. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £303 with residence, in the gift of the representatives of the late Lord Taunton. The church is old but good, and was restored in 1887. Gothelney Hall, a very ancient building, is in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Charlinch St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Charlynch 1745-1779, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Charlinch from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Charlinch (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.