Burton Pynsent, Somerset
Burton-Pynsent, a tithing in Drayton, Curry-Rivell, and Fivehead parishes, Somersetshire, on the Downs, 2 miles SW of Langport. The estate belonged to the Pynsents, but was bequeathed to William Pitt, afterwards Earl of Chatham. The Earl of Chatham occasionally resided here, and he erected a column 140 feet high, popularly called the Burton steeple, to the memory of Sir William Pynsent. This crowns an eminence, with a fine view.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Abdick and Bulstone|
|Poor Law union||Langport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burton Pynsent from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Burton-Pynsent)
Online maps of Burton Pynsent are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.