Brislington, a parish in Somersetshire, on the river Avon and the G.W.R., 2½ miles SE of Bristol, and 119 from London. It has a post office, with money order and telegraph departments, under Bristol. Acreage, 2309; population, 1771. Brislington Hall is the chief residence. Brislington House is a large and well-arranged lunatic asylum. Brislington Tunnel, on the line of the railway, goes through the shale and sandstone of the coal-measures, is 3148 feet long, and has four ventilating shafts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £270. Patron. The Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is good, and was restored and enlarged in 1874. There are also Wesleyan and Congregational chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Brislington St. Luke|
|Poor Law union||Keynsham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brislington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Brislington (St. Luke))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.