Brent, South, or Brent Knoll, Somerset
Brent, South, or Brent-Knoll, a village and a parish in Somersetshire. The village stands under Brent-Knoll, 1 mile from Brent-Knoll station on the G.W.R., and 7½ miles SW of Axbridge. It has a post and money order office wider Highbridge (R.S.O.); telegraph office, East Brent. The parish includes also the hamlet of Wick. Acreage, 8339; population of the civil parish, 770; of the ecclesiastical, 789. The manor belonged formerly to the abbots of Glastonbury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath .and Wells; gross value, £545 with residence. Patron, the Archdeacon of Wells. The church is partly Norman, and contains a large monument, to a Somerset of 1G63. There is a Bible Christian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||South Brent St. Michael|
|Hundred||Brent with Wrington|
|Poor Law union||Axbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brent, South, or Brent Knoll from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Brent, South (St. Michael))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.