Brean, a parish in Somersetshire, on the river Axe and on the coast, 4 miles from Burnham station on the Somerset and Dorset joint railway, 4 from Brent Knoll station on the G.W.R., and 8 W of Axbridge. The area is 1193 acres of land and 2277 of foreshore and water; population, 159, which includes Steep Holm Island. Post town, Bridgewater; money order and telegraph office, Burnham. Brean Down is 300 feet high, and projects into a promontory 1½ mile long westward from the mouth of the river Axe. It was fortified by the Government in 1866. Cliffs, with abundance of samphire are on the coast, and a great extent of sandy beach lies below. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £24:9 with residence. The church is good, and was restored in 1883. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Breane St. Bridget|
|Poor Law union||Axbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brean from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Breane (St. Bridget))
Online maps of Brean are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.