Bratton Seymour or Bratton St Maur, Somerset

Historical Description

Bratton-Seymour or Bratton-St-Maur, a parish in Somersetshire, 2½ miles NW of Wincanton station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway, and 3¼ SE of Castle Cary. Post town, Wincanton (under Bath), which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1486; population of the civil parish, 166; of the ecclesiastical, 111. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £140 with residence. The church stands on a green eminence overhanging a dell.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Bratton-Seymour Holy Trinity
Hundred Norton-Ferris
Poor Law union Wincanton

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bratton Seymour or Bratton St Maur from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.