Bradford, a parish in Somersetshire, on the river Toney 3 miles NE of Wellington station on the G.W.R., and 4 WSW of Taunton, under which it has a post and money order office; telegraph office, Norton-Fitzwarren. The parish comprises 1814 acres; population, 444. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £117 with residence. The church has been restored. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bradford St. Giles|
|Hundred||Taunton and Taunton-Dean|
|Poor Law union||Wellington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Bradford 1558-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bradford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bradford (St. Giles))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.